Thursday, November 8, 2007

Silly Things...

"Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way."
--Jane Austen, Emma



It was our first official meeting of our Jane Austen Book/Movie Club last night at the Cocoa Cafe. We are so happy that those of you who could make it came and we missed those of you that found yourselves otherwise engaged. I am happy also to introduce/induct into our blog/club, the lovely Miss Katie Drew, who from this day forward will hopefully be an active participant here.




We have decided to start with Emma. And so that everyone can feel equally involved and included, we also talked about watching and reviewing the movies at our meetings. This way those who don't have time to read the book or would rather watch the movie can still participate and everyone can contribute!



So here's the agenda...

We will meet on January the 8th to discuss the book & movies. The weekend before on Friday the 4th of January, we'll have a movie night where we can watch one of the movie adaptations of the book. For Emma, there are 3 movie adaptations we could watch...Clueless, Emma with Gwenyth Paltrow, and the BBC Version of Emma. Well only watch one, and possibly just parts of the others or you can watch them on your own if you'd like! We can discuss differences between the movies and the books, the weak and strong points of each, draw parallels to characters from the book to people we know (that's my favorite part as one day during church I found myself matching past boyfriends to Jane Austen's different male leads and my mother's vernacular often echoes to that of Lady Catherine De Burgh).

So that is our plan so far. If anyone has suggestions or ideas, please post them! This is my first book club and I'm feeling a little insecure about if this is all going to actually work so I'd love your feedback. If you're excited, bored, annoyed or whatever, let me know!



1 comments:

LT said...

Can I just say that the lighting in the Cocoa Cafe is not the most flattering.
Even though I may look bored/annoyed in that final picture, know that I am extremely pumped!